Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Local Park n' Pray

One of the things I never realized when Jenn and I joined staff with Campus Crusade is the vast amount of time that we would be spending praying in the car. Over the last year and a half of raising support, it seems like we've spent hundreds of hours praying in the car. I know, I know. It sounds kind of strange. Normally you think of praying in your bedroom or at a pew or something, but hear me out on it.

You see, the majority of the support appointments we've had so far have been in Jennifer's hometown of Lindale which is about 30 minutes or so from our apartment in Tyler. Rather than pray at our apartment and then drive to each appointment, we started the custom of getting to Lindale a little early, stopping by the church parking lot to pray, and then going to our appointment.

Needless to say, the First Baptist parking lot has kind of become our local "Park n' Pray" area in Lindale. This last week alone, we've visited the parking lot numerous times to pray before an appointment. It's kind of strange, but I think I'm actually going to miss our times praying in the parking lot when we get to full support. It's been absolutely amazing to pray and ask God for big things before the appointments we've had and then watch him work just a few minutes later.

I wonder if most staff have a prayer place like this when they raise their support. Or even better yet, I wonder if the apostles did when they first took the Gospel out to the world...hmm...something to think about...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How appropriate that your
"Park 'n Pray" is the at the church where you pledged your lives together. I'm certain it will always hold a special place in your hearts and I'm glad you've recorded it for your "quiver full" of children to see & hear the stories you will have to tell about how the Lord prepared you for full time student ministry & how HE made it all happen!~M~