Friday, April 21, 2006

Doing Laundry & Cleaning the Heart

Do you have a place where you like to go to sit down and read? I know some people love to read outside while absorbing the sun or in the library in absolute silence, but for me I've found probably the most unlikely place this year to sit down and enjoy reading...the North Hedges dorm basement while I do my laundry. I've come to love reading the Word down there...I just don't know why either. It has no windows, has the noise of the washers and dryers, and has students walking through it all the time. But for some reason, it is one of the places I connect with God the most. I always joke around that "while I'm cleaning my clothes, He's cleaning areas of my heart." To some point I think this is true. It's in this dingy basement that I've learned a lot about myself and the character of God this last year. In a strange way, I actually look forward to doing laundry, because I know I get to spend an extended time with my God while I'm down there. There is just something about it. Only a couple of weeks of school left though. I'm going to miss my little desk down in the basement! I'll have to find a new place in Texas :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's so good to have a special place where we meet with God! For 4 1/2 years, my special place was in the lunchroom at work with people coming and going all around me - and God was there with me, speaking through His word. Now I am a full time student, working full time, with a killer schedule, and I find it harder to take time for the most important thing in my life. I'm going to pray that you find your "laundry room" after you leave Montana State. Would you pray for me to find mine?

(I found your blog through Matt McComas. He and Jody are friends of mine. God bless you all!)